Follow-up is one of the most important parts of the recruiting process. Now that you have been contacted by the coaches, you should find out more about the school and program. You may use a site like www.petersons.com to look the school up or use your NCSA College Search Map.
Take some notes on the school and athletics program. The next step is to send the coach a personal email to express your interest in the school. Once you have an email relationship with the coach, the next step will be to place a phone call.
1) Always open with “Dear (or Hi) Coach ____(last name)” and refer to the school by name.
2) Thank the coach for the information they sent you (if applicable))
3) Answer any questions they asked you and/or tell them that you have completed their questionnaire if they sent one
4) Tell the coach a little bit about yourself including any competitions you will be attending in the near future
5) Express your interest in their school and athletics program
6) Ask a few questions. Refer to your NCSA Game Plan for a list of sample questions. Asking questions will help you learn more about the school and also gives the coach a reason to reply!
7) Include a link to your NCSA Recruiting Profile and explain that video is included
Always make sure to make your letters as personal as you can. For instance, research the schools website and add something specific about the school draws your interest. It’s best to be as proactive as you can and continue relationships with coaches to keep the conversation lines open. Here is a sample letter:
Thank you very much for your (Letter, Questionnaire, Email, Phone Call). I am very interested in your (sport) program. I have researched your website and it looks like (add something specific about academic/athletics at the school). Any additional information regarding (school name) would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to learn more about the opportunities available.
I have(Game, Highlight, Skills) tape/tapes available upon request. Are you interested in watching some video? (Put in some of your accomplishments, teams your play for, academic information, upcoming schedule, invite them to a competition).
I am interested in visiting (school) as well. Please let me know when it would be convenient to set up a time to meet with you. (Add some dates that you might be available – summer, fall, specific date)
(ASK A QUESTION ABOUT RECRUITING such as “Are you recruiting my position in 2010?” Use your GamePlan to find a list of questions to use.)
1234 Broadway Drive